Lodging complaints

In order to lodge your complaints with the electricity authorities and get them redressed please do accordingly,

1. A consumer first has to make a complaint over phone or in person or through a letter to Assistant Engineer/ Executive Engineer of the EB offices (distribution offices) located near your residence. 

2. Consumers can send their complaints to the Executive Engineer or Superintending Engineer or Chief Engineer concerned or contact them in person in their offices on all working days between 2 PM and 3 PM.

Superintending Engineer holds grievance day meetings once a month in each division of the circle. The date of the grievance meeting should be displayed in notice boards at Section/Division offices and published in newspapers.  Consumer can get their grievances redressed at the grievance day meetings.  

Courtesy: TANGEDCO website

3. Consumer Grievance Redressal Forum

If the grievance is not redressed, the consumers are advised to approach the “Consumer Grievance Redressal Forums” headed by the superintending engineer, established in every electricity distribution circle (zone) office for redressal of grievances. In Chennai there are five distribution circles. You have to see under what distribution circle you fall and approach the CGRF of that distribution circle.

CGRF addresses (Tamil Nadu)

Consumer Redressal Forum- Complaint format

4. Electricity Ombudsman (TNERC)

In case of non-redressal of grievance by the forum, the aggrieved consumer- by the order of the forum may himself or through his representative make a complaint to the Electricity Ombudsman who is attached to the office of the Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission (TNERC). 

5. If the issue is still pending or if the consumer is not satisfied with the judgment of the Ombudsman, he can then file a case with the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity.

 Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL) / Chennai circuit bench 

With the establishment of the Circuit Bench at Chennai cases are expected to be disposed without undue delay. The decisions could pave the way for future plan of action. The first Circuit Bench which is established in Chennai will hear cases emanating from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. 

Consumer forum (District Consumer Dispute Redressal forum)

The District Consumer Dispute Redressal Forum (consumer court) also hears cases related to electricity, such as deficiency in services or unfair trade practices. So you can take up the case straight to the DCDRF surpassing the Ombudsman and APTEL.